Civil Service Commission
The commission is the central humanitarian agency of the government of the Philippines. It is responsible for handling government-related issues for most of the government employees in the country. It evaluate, formulate and administer qualified programs and retention of competent workforce.
Takes adequate actions on all appointments and prescribes all forms for examinations, appointment, reports and such other forms as may be required by law. Many people are trying to get a certification but how to pass the Civil Service Examination or what are the tips and techniques to use during the exam.
Types of Eligibility issued by the commission
There are two (2) classifications of eligibilities given and here they are:
- First-Level Eligibility – This is equivalent to a Career Service Sub-Professional Eligibility for First-Level Government Position. It can be acquired if a person pass the CSC Sub-Professional Examination. It can be given also through eligibilities granted under these Special Laws. These are more in Barangay Level:
- Second-Level Eligibility – This is Career Service Professional Eligibility for First and Second-Level Government Position. It can be get if successfully pass the CSC Professional Examination. It also can be given to under Special Laws and CSC Issuances which are the following:
Special Skills Eligibility
This special eligibilities are not equivalent/comparable to Career Service Sub-Professional and Professional. These are special Laws and CSC Issuances and here as follows:
- Skills Eligibility – Category II (CSC MC 11, s. 1996, as Amended)
- Veteran Preference Rating (EO 132/790)
List of Examinations
There are limited types of examinations conducted by the commission. These are the following:
- CSE-PPT Professional – Career Service Examination -Pen and Paper Test.
- CSE-PPT Sub-Professional – Career Service Examination -Pen and Paper Test.
- CSE-Foreign Service Officer- A test for Officer who sworn to protect the interest of our country and the Filipino people in the foreign service.
- Penology Officer Examination – This examination is for Jail Officer of Bureau or Jail Management and Penology (BJMP).
- Fire Officer Examination- This examination is for Fire Officer of Bureau or Fire Protection (BFP)
- BCLT Examination – This is Basic Competency on Local Treasury
- ICLT Examination
- Pre-Employment Test
- Promotional Test
Methods on how to pass the examination
If you want to take the examination, you must remember this tips and advises:
This means you have to study continuously little by little. Don’t force yourself to grasp a vast knowledge within a day. You should not read a whole book or any educational references within a small period of time. Most mistakes taken by other people reading a hundred of books but they did not learn what they are reading. Even if it is a little at least it was grasped by your mind. Put into practice what you have learned everyday. Read with a minimum of 2-10 pages of informational references everyday before you go to sleep or during a vacant time.
Buy or Borrow a Examination Reviewer
You must refer a reviewer either it is latest or not. Although the questions from the reviewer does not comes out during the actual examination but at least you can compare, differentiate and serves as a guide. It will also gives you hint what are the field of knowledge does the examination covers. Remember do not buy or borrow a reviewer whose letters or numbers are already encircled. Choose a reviewer with a separate answer key page and mostly in the back portion.
Take examination within a reviewer
When you can acquire a reviewer please do not look directly to the answer key. This is also wrong action takes by most of the reviewers when they receive it.
Here are tips on taking a reviewer:
- Don’t look at the answer key.
- Count the total number of questions within the reviewer.
- Multiply the total number of questions by one (1) minute in order that you should take a question with a duration of one minute each.
- Start taking examination provided by the time you have set.
- Either finish or not you must stop answering. Do not cheat yourself and proceed answering even if it is time is up.
- Evaluate your score if it reaches to 80% average. This is the average score for passing the examination.
Even if you fail in this dummy test it is ok and this is the time you can comprehend and learn. This method came for the purpose of “what if these are the questions in the real examination? Maybe I failed or Pass”.
Enroll into a legitimate review centers with a high passing rate
If you are very serious, with a spare time and has enough budget you can take this suggestion. Instructors may gave you more hint and explains in detail the answers for most probable questions in the examination. But if you can afford this you can review in a place in where you are very comfortable with.
During the examination
Prepare the materials needed
Keep intact your belongings specially the picture, pencil, ballpen, sharpener and others. You must bring an extra for all of those materials and please sharpen all the pencil you have. This will reduce the time when your pencil’s tip broke while shading. If you sharpen it again it will take time. Do not also forget the Notice of School Assignment provided by the commission. This will give you your school assignment specially the room and arrangement.
Listen carefully to the examiner for further instructions
Do not ignore what the examiner told you to do. Many of the examinees failed because they do listen and very confident of themselves. It is good to be confident but not too much and sometimes the examinee sequence number and arrangement encounter a problem. This happens when the examinee fill up the portion not for his personal information and swap the order.
Calculate the total time given
Listen for the time given for the examination. Divide it the no. of questions before answering and this will lead to how much time allotted for each question including the time when you are shading the answer.
Read the questions carefully
A lot of person failed this part because they make haste on answering and put a lot of pressure on themselves. Just relax and calm your mind while reading each question.
Shade the answer properly
Do it properly and not too much shade on each answer. Especially when you are doubt for your answer and later change to another option. This may affect the answering in time when the machine will read your answer sheet.
Never shade the answer sheet without a question
When people are hurrying because of the time limit of the exam they shade the answer sheet even if it has no question. They think that they could get atleast got a one or two correct answer if they do this if they are lucky enough. These type of situation gives the examinee an advantage and when you do not shade the answer without a question it means it adds to your score. This is somehow a bonus to the examination. When you shade it then automatically it is wrong.
Proceed/Jump to another question if you doubt for answer
When not sure for the answer skip the question. Please proceed to the question that you are confident enough. It is not about skipping the questions but to make the use of time efficiently. After you have answered the questions you can go back to the unanswered questions and review then answer it.
Review for doubted answers
You can go back to the unfinished / Doubted questions you have encountered. Don’t panic and immediately submit your answer sheet. Please wait for the signal given by the examiner/proctor for the time ended. Avoid of being reckless and arrogant and try to keep calm and wait for time.
Lastly, smile and relax
Before and after the examination you must do this. It does not matter if you fail or pass the examination as long as you give your best shot and do not feel any regret. If you will not pass this time there will be always another time. You can always learn and differentiate what are the lacking.
Those are tips or methods on how to pass Civil Service Examination. Experience from a previous experience during the real examination. Good luck and continue to learn because the question came from a variety of fields. When you pass you are now eligible for any government agency you wish to work with.