Vehicular accident is one of the most prevalent crimes here in the Philippines. People are using everyday their vehicles when travelling from work and back. A lot of vehicles are crossing the streets in which cause a huge traffic. It could be a private and public utility vehicle that commit vehicular accident offenses.
Major causes of a vehicular accident
These are the possible causes that could result to vehicular accident:
- Texting while driving
- Over Speeding
- Drowsy driving
- Premature Overtaking
- Entering No Entry Sign
- Driving under influence of liquor
- Driving under influence of drugs
- Teenage drivers
- Improper turns
- Slippery road
- Dark Road
- No Proper Signage
- Untrained drivers
- Without brakes
- Engine trouble
- Not using seat belt
- Deadly Curves
- Animal Crossings
- Street Racing
- Falling debris
- Night driving
- Aggressive Driver
- Tire blow outs
- Eat Food while driving
- Road obstruction
- Driving in the wrong lane
Traffic Related Incident(TRI)
This term is used when their is an incident related to vehicular accident. A vehicular accident is an incident that causes death, injuries and damage to properties of a certain person with the involvement of vehicles. An incident occur through a vehicle to vehicle, vehicle to person or a vehicle to movable and immovable objects. It is with the participation of the victim and suspect involving vehicles in the road or streets.
It is categorized by the Traffic Investigator or Chief Investigator after conducting the Initial Investigation. These are the label used by the Police Officer in the incident.
This means all the people involved in the vehicular accident are considered as victims. These people are the offended party of the Traffic incident. This could be the driver of the vehicle, passenger or a person in the area.
Person in this category are the suspect of the vehicular accident. The offender of the Traffic Related Incident that transpired in the certain area. The person considered to be suspect are the driver of the said vehicle.
These are the possible people who saw the incident happened. They are people who can testify and could possibly pinpoint who is the victim and the suspect of the incident.
Initial Investigation conducted could be changed later on as the case is on-going. When the case is filed on the court, both parties including witness can execute their affidavits. The traffic investigator who handle the case who collect possible more evidences including but not limited to traffic sketch and others. Driver’s License are also included in the investigation.
Types of Vehicular Accident Offenses
These are the offenses happen during a Traffic Related Incidents
1. Reckless Imprudence Resulting to Homicide
When the Party A(Offended Party/Victim) is deceased or dead. The responding Medical Team or Physician could only declare in either Dead on Arrival (DOA), Dead on the Spot (DOS), or Victim Died while confined in the facility.
2. Reckless Imprudence Resulting to Physical Injuries
Party B is charge with these offense if he or she commit a damage in either direct or indirect contact to victim. The Direct contact is when driving a vehicle and it hits to the body of the person. Parts of the vehicle go trough any parts of the body of the victim. The Indirect contact is when the victim is riding a vehicle and the said vehicle was hit by the vehicle of the suspect. Due to the result, it could stumble down or crashed that makes the people riding injured.
There are two classifications of Physical Injuries in vehicular accident
- Less Serious – this is classified by the Physician depending on the healing period stated in the medical certificate. Both parties will have a medical examinations on their body. Healing period from 0 to 30 days is the basis for this category.
- Serious – Physician conducting the medical examination write the result in the certificate. The healing period is from 1 month and beyond.
3. Reckless Imprudence Resulting to Damage to Property
Mostly during the collision of vehicles of the suspect and the victim. Their are also times that the property is on near the street or with no one riding inside. It could be establishment, houses or any private area that are hit by the vehicle. The owner of the damaged property is the victim of the vehicular accident.
What to do when you witness a vehicular accident.
In a situation wherein you saw or witness a vehicular accident, these are the following steps that you might do:
- Ask for help and call for an ambulance or medical rescue unit
- Call for assistance from the nearest Police Station.
- Advice other people not to remove or detach the vehicle including the victim and suspect in the area.
- When the rescue and the police are in the area, you must ask them if you could leave the area. The responding officer will conduct initial investigation around the people who witness the incident.
Do you learn something from 3 common vehicular accident offenses? The vehicular accident offense mostly occur when the driver is under the influence of liquor. You must remember this so that it will always remind you to keep safe while driving vehicle.